Saturday, January 29, 2011

Finally found The Haven

Ok, so my internet is working! This is a good thing because I have online coursework to complete as part of my research for my thesis. The online coursework was supposed to be completed prior to my arrival here since internet is terrible, but I was not sent any access codes until a few days after I got here.

It seems as if most of the plans I have in South Africa will be changed or delayed due to obstacles. It's all good though since the obstacles have provided some great surprises so far. The latest since I met with PSU on Wednesday was that we were staying at a nature reserve close to East London in Kei Mouth called Morgan's Bay Nature Reserve. At least I think that is what it was called. We were scheduled to spend two nights there and then travel to Dwesa-Cwebe on Thursday morning. Well, Thursday morning arrived and one of our otherwise super cool Land Rovers was not working properly. This delayed our trip for one day while the one vehicle had to be towed and worked on which was a very long ordeal. The positive side of this is that one of the students brought Phase 10 with her and we played that while waiting to hear the news about our new plans from the profs. I don't know if Ms. Ev is reading this, but props because I won!! I was soooo excited that someone else knew what the game was. There were actually two other people who knew it and we taught a few people how to play.

Now to back up a few days, the flight on Wednesday was fine, no problems. I like the new group, not much to really talk about there. It is definitely a different dynamic than we had last year so I hope everyone gets along for the rest of the time. I am also anticipating Warren and Evan's arrival. They were two students with me last year who were a part of Parks & People 2010. Since they are graduated and graduating respectively, they were hired as research assistants for Dr. Smithwick this year. She is the second of the series of three professors who taught us last year and are teaching this year.

For the three nights in Kei Mouth we used our sleeping bags on cots so I didn't get as much rest as I would have liked. I am glad to finally be here at Dwesa-Cwebe and The Haven.

We left early on yesterday (Friday) morning to get to our final destination and made it in about 6 hours for lunchtime. When we arrived at the Haven, I heard the women that work here cheering and running towards the vehicles, so I hopped right out and ran down to greet them. It was so nice to see them again and such a great welcome because the students followed me and they all got a hug from the staff even though they did not know each other. From there we had lunch and I did some of my coursework. Last night we got to unwind since today was a free day for us to relax (something they specially built in for the students to recharge because we did not have these days last year). I slept in past breakfast since I only got about 4 hours of sleep each of the previous three nights.

Now I am just taking the time to update the blog and do some of my online work. There is nothing extremely exciting that I have to report. I have to take some pictures and hopefully I will soon be able to upload a few. It may or may not work. If there are any picture requests, just write a comment to let me know. I already have a request for what the Land Rovers look like.

2 comments:

  1. "When we arrived at the Haven, I heard the women that work here cheering and running towards the vehicles, so I hopped right out and ran down to greet them. It was so nice to see them again and such a great welcome because the students followed me and they all got a hug from the staff even though they did not know each other."

    That made me tear up faiffyy! I loved your blog and can't wait to read more! miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When we arrived at the Haven, I heard the women that work here cheering and running towards the vehicles, so I hopped right out and ran down to greet them. It was so nice to see them again and such a great welcome because the students followed me and they all got a hug from the staff even though they did not know each other."

    I teared up too! Faith I am loving this blog. You are the best (as you know) = )

    ReplyDelete